To display and promote my genealogy online for over 18 years I used the following:
- In 1999, I used HTML/CSS (HyperText Markup Language/ Cascading Style Sheets). Since this type of format is susceptible to hackers I was continually fighting all sorts of hacks on the scripts I was using for a guestbook. Usually my guestbook was inoperable and had to be restored several times over the past few years. HTML is difficult to use for an interactive genealogy website.
- In 2005, I started to experiment with CMS (Content Management System). WOW what a change going from a static format to an interactive format. After a period of one year I tried MKPortal, Post-Nuke, PHP-Fusion and Joomla. The experience has been great! I used Joomla for seven years.
- In 2012, I started to blog with WordPress. I used a WordPress genealogy plugin for The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding (TNG). The TNG plugin had many problems when TNG did an upgrade. I struggled with this for 4 years.
- In 2016, I used WordPress with the Genealone plugin. Genealone is a great for WordPress. However, after one year there were no upgrades and development seemed to stop.
- Today, I am using TNG as a stand-alone program at my-genealogy.org and WordPress is dedicated to my blogging at genblog.org.